Glasgow University and Edinburgh City

Last Saturday was a jam packed game at Edinburgh City where they hosed Glasgow University for there first game of the Scottish Championship. Halfway through the first quarter the defender Rodd Waugh passed to Gregg Thomas who drew a slashing penalty and finally scored while the flag was on the field.

Edinburgh’s subsequent man-up-play seemed powerful at first, and quick ball movement created open space for Ali Lee to find Greg in shooting range. Greg put in his second goal in less than a minute to put Edinburgh in the lead to 2-0. Glasgow created opportunities of their own but Edinburgh’s James Philp (10 saves) turned away all four shots he faced in his first quarter as a goalie, and Edinburgh ended the first up 2-0.

Glasgow kept the pressure up into the next quarter, however Niall Hamilton converted a fast break opportunity in the second half. That was the only goal of the quarter, as both defenses restricted opposing scoring opportunities and also the Gentlemen were not able to figure out how to get the ball past Glasgow’s goaly Oliver “Oli” Raine (12 saves).

Glasgow tied the match up early in the 3rd quarter on their very first man up opportunity of the game with a goal and Edinburgh’s scoring drought continued, as Glasgow had some serious midfielders defending constantly which prevented Edinburgh’s attackmen. Meanwhile, Glasgow ’s own attackmen exerted great pressure on Edinburgh’s clear, causing several costly turnovers: Corrie Bruce and Tim Mottram both capitalised on Edinburgh’s blunders to give Glasgow a 4-2 lead by the end of the third.

Edinburgh came into the fourth quarter, and refused to accept defeat so readily. Martin Crawford scored having a fantastic individual effort on Edinburgh’s first possession, bouncing a shot to the top corner. A strategic time out by Glasgow did little to slow the pace of the game; after play restarted Marty found Scott Swan all alone on the crease, and Scott scored his first goal of the season.

Edinburgh’s comeback had not been enough, yet. Glasgow continued to harass Edinburgh’s clearing efforts, and Corrie intercepted an errant pass all alone in the centre of Edinburgh’s defensive end, scoring a simple goal to once again tie the game. The stalemate continued until late in the quarter, when a communication breakdown during an Edinburgh penalty kill gave Glasgow an open shot on goal. Tim’s second of the game proved to function as the game-winner, and the visitors came away from the match with a well-earned 6-5 victory over Edinburgh.